Sunday, November 21, 2010

Seeing Stripes

You know me, I love something preppy. A popped collar? Sure! Stripes? Yes, please. But I got to thinking yesterday that stripes are a funny thing. I remember once hearing one of those "golden rules" of fashion and I believe it went something like "never wear horizontal stripes." But honestly, when was the last time you saw vertical stripes? Horizontal stripes and "sailor" shirts are just about everywhere these days and I've accumulated quite a collection. I think the original Saint James sailor shirt has become quite a classic and I've seen people wearing it in really modern ways lately. But that's the thing. I think preppy is really coolest when you modernize it in a certain way or give it a certain spin (think Band of Outsiders' hipster-prep cool vibe). So I've got to thinking about ways to wear the shirts I already own in a really modern way. I think I am going to start out with a leather jacket of sorts for day and with a great big bad statement necklace for night. Skinny jeans may do the trick, but tucked into high-waisted jeans with towering heels for night may be the perfect contrast. It's all about using what's already out there (or what's already in your closet) and reinterpreting in a really modern way that's right for you.


(photo: courtesy of Hype Beast)

No comments:

Post a Comment